The Rural Life Centre is able to offer the following facilities to visiting groups of adults, families and senior citizens (please visit our Education page if you are interested in a school visit):
Under cover display of village life from the Victorian age to the 1950s
Special Displays and Events for this year
• A Woodland Walk and Arboretum with numbered guide sheets, available on request. Planting started in the 1950s. Many different species of trees can be seen, originating from all over the world. A talk on the trees can be given if pre-booked.
• The museum is set in ten acres of some of Surrey's most beautiful countryside. Frensham Ponds are just over a mile away, with Hindhead, the Gibbet Hill and Punchbowl about six miles distant.
• Ample car and coach parking is adjacent to the museum entrance and is available free to museum visitors as is the picnic area. There is undercover picnic space, a cafe and good facilities for disabled visitors. On site toilet facilities are provided for all users.
• The museum is open to the public from mid March to end October each year (for precise dates please see our Visiting Us page, Wednesday to Sunday and Bank Holidays. In the winter we ares open on Wednesdays and Sundays only. We may be able to open on other days for large pre-booked groups - please enquire.
• The museum gift shop offers books, cards and useful souvenirs.
• The Old Kiln Café also welcomes bookings from groups. Organisers are invited to contact the café on 01252 790831 to discuss their requirements, obtain a quotation and place their booking.
• Group admission prices: please see here. There is a 10% discount for group bookings of over 30 persons. Coach drivers are admitted free. The organiser of a group can visit the museum for no charge in order to pre-plan a group visit at which time any specific requirements can be discussed.
• When available, we can also offer an introductory talk about the museum and its work, followed by a brief conducted tour of the site pointing out the stories behind some of the buildings and exhibits. This costs an additional £1.50 per person inclusive and should also be booked in advance (availability depends on the presence of a guide at the time of your proposed visit).
To book please complete the Group Booking Form though a telephone call is advised first to check availability. Please note that group visits are arranged on a pre-paid basis and all entrance monies must be received at least fourteen days before the visit.
If you would like any further information, please do not hesitate to get in touch. We look forward to seeing you.
Important note for coach drivers
Due to bridge weight limits and road widths, there is only one practical approach route to the Rural Life Centre: Firstly head for Farnham and follow signs to the station. Do not enter the station forecourt but continue ahead following the signs to Tilford, this will take you across the level crossing before bearing right up Tilford Road.
Continue along this road crossing straight over at all junctions (ignore the weight limit signs - you will turn off before reaching the bridge that these refer to). Just before entering Tilford village you will see the brown signs to the centre, turn right where indicated up Reeds Road.
The centre is about three quarters of a mile further on the right hand side. Hard standing for coaches is provided just inside the entrance on the left.
† The Old Kiln Light Railway can be made available on other days by prior arrangement - please enquire